October 5 - San Francisco Birding

This was my first free day in San Francisco after attending the Oracle Open World Conference all week. Edith and Austin had travelled with me, but they left for the airport in the morning to return to Vancouver.

I decided to walk from our hotel down to the Ferry building; located on the bay at the foot of the Embarcadero. Back in 2015 we'd visited this location and I'd seen Western and Heerman's Gulls up close. I felt this was my best chance for seeing them again.

The Ferry Building is a landmark on the waterfront, it is the terminal for the San Francisco Bay Ferry system, and als has upscale shops and restaurants. I borrowed this shot from Wikipedia.



The first bird I spotted was a Gull near the fountain on the right side of the tower. It wa a Western Gull, a darker version of our local Glaucous-winged Gull.

  Western Gull - Ferry Building, San Francisco CA - 2017 Bird # 199

I made my way to the pier on the left (south) of the Ferry Building and got a terrific look at a Heerman's Gull. We get the occasional stray of this species at Point Roberts, but they are common in Coastal California. This Gull features a bright Red/Orange bill with a black tip and black feet. It is smaller than the Western and has a dark gray appearance.

Heerman's Gull - Ferry Building, San Francisco CA - 2017 Bird # 200

There were quite a few Western Gulls in the area including this one. I don't know if this was a yawn or a threatening gesture towards the camera.

Western Gull - Ferry Building, San Francisco CA 

One more look at this species, this shows the field marks quite well.

Western Gull - Ferry Building, San Francisco CA

I also expected to see Brown Pelicans somewhere during my birding excursion and was not disappointed. These birds came in from the south passing under the Bay Bridge as they flew to the north.

Brown Pelican - Ferry Building, San Francisco CA - 2017 Bird #201

One last look at a pair of Western Gulls before I headed north towards Pier 39 and then west to the Presidio. These two look like they've been together for a long time.

Western Gull - Ferry Building, San Francisco CA

Offshore there were a few Double-crested Cormorants in the water.

Double-crested Cormorant - Ferry Building, San Francisco CA

My plan had been to get to the Presidio, the park that looks across the water to the Golden Gate Bridge. It was a nice sunny day so I decided to walk. I headed north towards the famous Pier 39, and then turned west. I had an uphill walk, but this route offered the gentlest climb. Eventually I started downhill again and reached a small grassland area. There was some bird activity there, which turned out to be a bird I'd see quite frequently in the following days.


White-crowned Sparrow - San Francisco CA

This is a first year bird, it will have the adult black and white crown by next spring.

The local birding websites had praised the Presidio as a great place for birds, but I must have been there in the wrong season. The only bird I was was this Song Sparrow.

Song Sparrow - San Francisco CA

However there was a Harbor Seal quite close to the beach.

Harbor Seal - San Francisco CA

There were good views of the Golden Gate bridge to the west and to Alcatraz Island to the east.



It turned out that this was Fleet Week in San Francisco. There's a tradition of the Blue Angels putting on an Air Show on the weekend. This was Thursday and they were practicing over the skies of San Francisco. They were right overhead our location at the Presidio.


Also involved were the Canadian Snowbirds.


The Blue Angels were constantly disappearing over the city and then returning with a tremendous roar. I took a few videos of them with the Nikon and IPhone. This one from the Nikon turned out the best.


I now made my way back the way I came, about a 90 minute walk back to the Hotel. As I neared the Ferry building I spotted a bird in a Palm tree on the Embarcadero boulevard. It was a Starling, looking quite striking in this setting.

European Starling - San Francisco CA

I returned to the hotel. Tomorrow I'd be checking out and heading south for two days of birding before coming home.


No comments:

Post a Comment